Cavan County Council made the decision to straighten a very dangerous stretch of road . The proposed road realignments are located approximately 1.8km apart at the following locations:
Phase 1: Approximately 1km long realignment section of the N55 south of Ballinagh between the townlands of Garrymore and Pottahee, and
Phase 2: Approximately 2km long realignment section of the N55 south of Ballinagh in the townlands of Corduff, Oghill and Ballytrust.
- Site clearance, large cut and fill earthworks operations.
- The installation of a large RC Culvert and construction of a retaining wall.
- The excavation of peat in excess of 12m deep and rock breaking in other areas of the site.
- Ground water was a major obstacle due to the depth of excavation.
- The disposal of excavated material, dewatering, free drainage hard core backfill and on completion of sub-base as well as associated drainage networks, services, surfacing, road markings & signage and fencing.
- Drainage works included the installation of storm attenuation pond, petrol inceptors and outfalls.
- As the work was carried out in a National Road, a detailed traffic management system was implemented to maintain access to homes and businesses, and to minimise disruption.